Sept 2020 – Grangegorman Campus
2019 CAO Points - 440
Minimum Grade in
English OR Irish
Other Grade Requirements
|At least H4 in one of: Physics, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry, or Biology.|
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
Additional Requirements/ Information: All students on this programme must undergo Garda vetting procedures before being allowed to register. Also, if you have a medically diagnosed food allergy (note: not a food intolerance) you should be aware that during this programme you’ll come in contact with food.
|During this programme you will come in contact with food and applicants with a medically diagnosed food allergy (note: not a food intolerance) should be aware of this.|
Public Health Nutrition involves the promotion of good health through nutrition and the primary prevention of nutrition-related illness in the population.
It focuses on applying food and nutrition knowledge, policy and research to improving the nutritional health of the population and high-risk or vulnerable subgroups within the population.
This public health nutrition degree has an international perspective. It examines how global, national and local community programmes can be designed to improve the nutritional status of the population as a whole and those at particular risk.
There are employment opportunities for nutrition experts in the agri-food production and retail industries, as well as in nutrition product sales and marketing.
Several government agencies and bodies also employ expert nutritionists. The growing appreciation of the role of nutrition in public health is increasing the demand for graduates in public health nutrition.
The study of nutrition draws on a range of subjects, including the basic sciences, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, immunology, microbiology and physiology.
The programme will provide you with integrated training in the science of nutrition and its applications to human health and well-being, both at the individual and community level. You’ll learn about nutrients in food, the role of nutrients in the body and the relationship between diet, health and disease.
The skills and competencies you’ll develop will be enhanced and reinforced by a research project in Year 3, and a 36 to 52-week professional placement in Year 4.
Study Abroad Opportunities
In Year 4, you can choose to undertake your work placement in Europe through the Erasmus programme or in the US.
Through this professional placement, you’ll gain real-life work experience.
If you successfully complete the programme, you’ll be eligible to register as an Associate Nutritionist with the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists (UKVRN) conferred by the Association for Nutrition. Three years further relevant experience will enable you to apply for Registered Nutritionist status.
On graduation, you may proceed to postgraduate studies leading to the award of MSc, MPhil or PhD at research institutes and universities worldwide.
- Public Health Nutritionist
- Nutrition Researcher
- Lab Analyst
- Regulatory Affairs – QC-QA
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Chemistry for Human Nutrition
- Food Studies
- Nutrition Science-Macronutrients
- Nutrition through the Lifecycle
- Infection & Immunity
- Professional Practice, Communications & Behavioural Science
- Research Methodology & Statistics
- Biochemistry of Metabolism
- Nutrition Science-Micronutrients
- Control & Integrative Physiology
- Public Health Microbiology
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Physical Activity, Exercise and Health
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Professional Practice for Public Health Nutrition
- Practice Placement (4 weeks)
- Applied Nutrition
- Molecular Nutrition
- Global Food Issues
- Food Safety, Food Policy & Regulatory Affairs
- Invention, Innovation & Commercialisation
- Data Analysis & Interpretation
- Professional Development for Placement
- Research Project
- Professional Placement (36-52 weeks)
- Special requirements for first year:
- During year one of the programme yo will be required to obtain the followi items to complete the course work (approximate prices are included): Lab Coat, Safety Goggles and Manual (€60), Hepatitis Vaccinations (€90), Immunity Testing (€20), Chef’s Uniform & Shoes (€100) and Knife Set (€30)
This programme is perfect for anyone interested in diet and health. The great lecturers provided continuous support. There’s a good balance of theory and practical learning, with lots of interesting subjects. It gave me the opportunity to pursue a Dietetics MSc.