2019 CAO Points - 241
Networking Technology is about designing and building computer networks and involves the physical installation and commissioning of networks and connection to the Internet. As a student, you will acquire the technical skills and knowledge necessary for a career in IT and computer networking.
You will acquire a grounding in computer networking technologies, electronics and communications and web development, together with a knowledge of business operations, management and finance. This programme has an emphasis on continuous assessment, and you’ll learn by doing and working on hands-on applications rather than from theory.
You’ll learn how to diagnose, repair and maintain computer and network hardware and system software, how to support all peripheral equipment that connects to computer networks, gain experience in controlling external devices using computers. The programme incorporates modules on CISCO network systems. CISCO is the leading networking company, and you will have the opportunity to acquire the ‘CISCO Certified Network Administrator’, CCNA qualification.
Software is also an integral part of all networks, so you will be able to install and maintain a wide range of network and system software, including operating systems, such as Windows, UNIX and Linux. You gain valuable skills in network security, web design and web services.
An industry-standard education, coupled with a work placement, in Year 3 will complement your academic learning and ensure that on graduation, you can immediately apply your skills.
The programme is structured to permit exit after successful completion of Year 2 with a Higher Certificate.
On graduation, you can progress through to Honours Degree programmes within TU Dublin.
- IT Companies
- State and Semi-state bodies
- Communication Equipment Providers
- Communication Service Providers
- Telecommunication companies
- Network Security Firms
- Network Solution companies
- Start-ups / SMEs
- Energy Technology and Software Development
- Education/Training Bodies
- Computer Gaming Companies
- Medical – diagnostic and monitoring equipment
- Industrial and Public Sectors:
- Retail Units
- Sports and Leisure Centres
- Community Centres
- Food and Agri
- Local Authorities
- Third level Institutions
- Small and Medium Enterprises
- Defence Forces
- Petrochemical industries
- Energy Utilities
- Suppliers and Providers
- State Utilities
- Gas/Electrical Suppliers
- Independent Power Producers
- Energy Service
- Local authorities
- Renewable Energy Developers
- State Utilties Agents and Distributors
- Original Equipment Manufacturers
- Government Agencies/Voluntary/NGOs/Professional Associations
- Local and national government
- Out –sourced service companies
- US Multinationals: e.g.: Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Intel, IBM, PayPal, etc.
- Physical Computing 1 & 2
- Information Literacy & report writing
- Applied data Networking
- Network Fundamentals 1(CCNA1)
- Web Development
- Business Management 1
- Computer Hardware & Security
- Routing & Switching Essentials (CCNA2)
- Microcontrollers 1 & 2
- Server Side Web Development
- Problem Solving with C
- Business Management 2 - Sustainable Business
- Scaling Networks (CCNA3) Data Analysis (Excel DB)
- Open Source software
- Continuing Professional Development
- Fundamentals of Wireless Technologies (CCNA Wireless)
- Connecting Networks (CCNA4)
- Python for Networks
- Project Management
- IP Telephony and Video
- IOT Technologies
- Programming for Networks
- Network Management
- CCNA Security
- Work Placement
- Team Assignment
I am currently studying my final year in BTech in Networking Technologies. After three years, I feel I am now equipped with valuable skills which I have learned in my labs and lectures and through my project work. The CISCO qualification is an additional industry recognised qualification with this programme and as this sector is thriving at the moment, I look forward to starting my future career in this area.