2019 CAO Points - 419
Minimum Number of
Minimum Grade in
Other Grade Requirements
At least H4 in one of: French, German, Italian or Spanish. For native or nearly-native speakers of English.
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
This programme fosters competence in French, German, Irish, Italian or Spanish alongside an enriched understanding of English. Fluency of expression is a key priority in the world of work, and this programme aims to increase linguistic versatility in every respect.
It is delivered over four years through three strands of subject matter including composition skills, literary studies and language learning and teaching. Graduates will be proficient communicators in their chosen European language and highly adept at text analysis and production in English.
English modules include literature, composition and linguistics, as well as cultural studies, cinema and the teaching of English as a second language. The French, German, Irish, Italian and Spanish modules develop spoken competence, written accuracy and intercultural understanding through translation and literary analysis.
This four-year programme involves three years of study in TU Dublin and one year abroad at a partner institution in the country of the foreign language. Alternatively, qualified students in Year 3 may undertake an English language teaching assistantship in France, Germany, Italy or Spain.
On graduation, you may proceed to postgraduate studies leading to the award of MSc, MPhil or PhD at research institutes and universities worldwide.
Study Abroad Opportunities
You are required to spend the third year of the programme in the country of your foreign language, either as an English language assistant or as a student in a partner university.
The combination of another European language with English will widen your career path both in Ireland and internationally. Bilingual communicators with critically refined understandings of the spoken and written word are prized in many fields of work, including business, education, media and government.
- Composition and Writing Skills
- Text & Research
- English-Speaking World Cinema
- Introduction to Cultural Image
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Text & Narrative
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Language 1A (Post-LC)
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish and Latin American Studies 1
- Chinese/French/Irish/Italian/German/Spanish 1B (Beginners)
- American Vantage Points
- Communicative Fluency
- Texts for Stage & Screen
- Intercultural Studies
- World Cinema
- Language Learning & Teaching
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Language 2A
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish and Latin American Studies 2
- Chinese/French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish 2B
The year abroad can be spent at a partner institution in the country of the foreign language. Alternatively, qualified students in Year Three may undertake an English language teaching assistantship in France, Germany, Italy or Spain.
- Modernism & 20th Century English Literature
- English Literature of Ireland
- Teaching English & Drama
- Writing for Professional Purposes
- Creative & Imaginative Writing
- The American West
- Art, History and Culture of France
- Hispanic Identities
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Literary and Cultural Studies
- Current Affairs in France/Germany/Italy/Spain and Latin America
- Translation and Interpreting French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish
- Chinese Spoken Language
- Chinese Written Language
- Chinese Cultural Studies