2019 CAO Points: 270
This new and innovative programme, developed by a team of engineers, designers, entrepreneurs and business leaders, offers a truly unique learning experience and opens up the path to an exciting career in technology design. You’ll come to understand the design process from concept through to market, and study business as well as design and technology modules. You’ll gain deep project design experience throughout, which offers an opportunity for industry placement either locally or through one of our international partner institutes. You don’t need prior technical skills but should have an interest in technology and how it can be applied creatively in the design process.
You’ll gain hands-on experience of managing, designing, prototyping and testing new technology systems and products. Your learning will be project-based, with learning blocks in design methodologies, maker technologies, digital fabrication & project design. You can tailor your own journey, with three specialist stream options: Wearable Technologies, Smart Systems or Entrepreneurship.
You’ll have access to ideation spaces, technical labs and prototyping hubs to develop ideas and create designs, with access to 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC machining. You’ll have opportunities throughout for industry collaboration and feedback, with learning based on real-world scenarios.
Postgraduate Study: On graduation you may continue to postgraduate study at TU Dublin or elsewhere.
- Design Technology
- Technology Innovation
- Creative Concept Design
- Digital Fabrication Technologies
- Wearable Technologies
- Smart Systems
- Technology Development
- Technology Project Management
- Principles of Electronics and Digital Systems
- UX Design
- Science Technology and Society
- Maker Studio
- Web Technologies and Databases
- Software Design and Introduction to Python
- Digital Fabrication Portfolio
- Algebra, Geometry and Calculus
- Microcontrollers and Embedded Technology
- Information Systems and Applications
- Design Thinking and Ideation Portfolio
- Matrices and Differential Equations
- Mechanical Design
- Materials Science and Sustainable Design
- Creative Product Design Project
- Applications of Wireless Communications
- Sensor Technology
- Object-Oriented Analyses and Design
- Production and the Market
- Statistics and Probability
- Biosignals and Systems
- Tools for Machine Learning
- Enterprise and Operations
You must select one elective.
- Design Experience
- Sales and Digital Marketing
- Research Methods and Technical Writing
- Technology Project Management
- Cloud Computing
- Capstone Design Project 1
- Wearable Devices
- Internet of Things Technologies
- Supply Chain Management
- Smart Technologies
- New Venture Finance
- Capstone Design Project 2
- Business Innovation and the Law
The electives listed are indicative since they depend on learner demand and resource availability, and may vary from year to year.
This course is the perfect mix of engineering, business and science. More and more companies require employees with an all-around skillset, an individual who is creative enough to design, think, process and create. It is a course of the future and will provide skilled workers to tackle new inventions and more.The course has a little bit of everything for everyone and will teach you from the ground up on the basics of business, market research, engineering, science and more. The best thing about the course is the hands-on experience in how to design products and work with coding and engineering.
- Heinz Cleto, Design, Technology and Innovation