Sept 2020 – Grangegorman Campus
2019 CAO Points - 501
Minimum Grade in
English OR Irish
Other Grade Requirements
|At least H4 in one of: Physics, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry, or Biology.|
Mature applicants (23+) are welcome. Further details at www.tudublin.ie/mature
Garda Vetting through TU Dublin Required – see tudublin.ie/gardavetting
Biomedical Science is the science related to medical conditions, their causes, diagnosis and treatment.
This programme provides multi-disciplinary training and clinical laboratory placement in all Biomedical Science disciplines, so that you may work in any of the following areas in pathology: Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Cytology, Cellular Pathology, Haematology, Medical Microbiology, Molecular Diagnostics, and Transfusion Science.
Year 1 covers the core sciences and introduces you to Biomedical Science. Year 2 includes Immunology, Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, as well as a module in each of the five major diagnostic pathology biomedical disciplines.
In Year 3, you undertake a 30-week Clinical Laboratory Placement in a hospital pathology laboratory.
In your final year, you study core modules in Molecular Diagnostics, Professional Skills and Quality Systems, and Research Methods and Data Interpretation, and select two further modular options from Clinical Chemistry, Cellular Pathology, Haematology, Transfusion Science, Medical Microbiology and Clinical Immunology.
You then undertake a 12-week research project, based in TU Dublin, a hospital pathology laboratory or an international research centre (under the Erasmus/Socrates scheme).
Study Abroad Opportunities
In final year, you may elect to undertake a 12-week research project in an international research centre (under the Erasmus/Socrates scheme). The School of Biological Sciences currently has the following EU partners for Research Project Placement: Belgium – Gent University, KU Leuven,and Odisee University College; France – University of Lille and University of Limoges; Portugal – University of Coimbra; Spain – University of Navarra, and Sweden – University of Gothenburg, Karolinska Institute and Uppsala University.
In Year 3, you will undertake a 30-week Clinical Laboratory Placement in a hospital pathology laboratory.
You thus will have completed both the Clinical Laboratory Placement and an honours degree in Biomedical Science, required for eligibility to practise as a medical scientist in clinical pathology labs in Ireland.
This degree, which is accredited by both the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (Ireland) and the Institute of Biomedical Science (UK), is recognised for employment in private pathology and research labs, and Biomedical Science positions worldwide.
On graduation, you may also proceed to postgraduate studies leading to the award of MSc, MPhil or PhD at research institutes and universities worldwide.
There are many opportunities for Biomedical Science graduates in both diagnostic pathology laboratories in the Health Service and in research laboratories. You would be eligible to work as a medical/biomedical scientist in clinical diagnostic pathology laboratories in Ireland, the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Medical Scientist, Pathology Lab Technician
- Introduction to Biomedical Science
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Introduction to Histology, Anatomy & Physiology
- Organ System Physiology
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Physics for Health Sciences
- Mathematics for Health Sciences
- Introduction to Infection & Immunity
- Professional & Scientific skills
- Biostatistics for Health Sciences
- Biological Basis of Disease
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Control & Integrated Physiology
- Biochemistry of Metabolism
- Bioinformatics for Biomedical Science
- Molecular Immunology
- Professional & Research Skills
- Cellular Pathology/ Clinical Cytology
- Clinical Chemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Transfusion Science
- Professional Placement in a Hospital Laboratory (30 weeks)
- Professional Practice
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Professional Skills and Quality Systems
- Research Methods & Data Interpretation
Select two of the following modular options:
- Option 1 Clinical Chemistry
- Option 2 Cellular Pathology
- Option 3 Haematology & Transfusion Science and Haematology
- Option 4 Haematology & Transfusion Science and Transfusion Science
- Option 5 Medical Microbiology
- Option 6 Molecular Immunology & Clinical Immunology
Research Project (12 weeks)