- Leaving Certificate
- Mature grounds
- Full QQI-FET Level 5 or 6 Award
Management and administration staff play an important role in enterprise. Graduates of business courses are responsible for managing the many services that allow organisations to operate efficiently. Specific duties for business administrators and managers vary according to the degree of responsibility and authority. These duties may include managing people, finance, marketing or clerical work. Management and administration staff should have good communication skills and be able to establish effective working relationships with people throughout the organisation, from senior management to clerical staff. They should be analytical, pay attention to detail, be flexible and decisive. The ability to coordinate several activities at once, quickly analyse and resolve specific problems and cope with deadlines are necessary skills.
This course is aimed at those who wish to enhance their career by gaining a greater understanding of the world of business, in preparation for a career in business.
Graduates from the Higher Certificate programme can seek employment in marketing, management, finance and information technology sectors.
Year 1 Semester 1
- Fundamentals of Economics : Micro Economics
- Exploring Modern Enterprises
- Skills for Success in Higher Education
- Business Mathematics and Statistics 1
- Irish Culture and Society (E)
Year 1 Semester 2
- Fundamentals of Economics : Macro Economics
- Leading Modern Enterprises
- Business Mathematics and Statistics 2
- Business Information Systems
- Applied Media Studies in Business (E)
Year 2 Semester 3
- Financial Accounting
- Human Resource Management 1
- Electronic Commerce
- Principles of Marketing
- Business Law
- European Studies (E)
Year 2 Semester 4
- Information Management
- Introduction to Management & Cost Accounting
- Marketing Communications
- Human Resource Management 2
- Business Law
- Sustainable Business Practice (E)
Learners can take an Elective Module (E) in each semester or opt for a Work Based Learning Project which starts in year 1 and continues in year 2. The Work Based Project is only made available in certain circumstances.
To facilitate students who are working, two subjects per semester will be a blended delivery of a live online classroom along with face to face lectures.
Classes will be delivered in blended mode; mainly remotely online, and where required, some class contact
Year 1 and Year 2
- Tuesday 6pm-10pm
- Wednesday 6pm-10pm (Online, except for four evenings per semester when classes takes place on campus instead)
- Thursday 6pm-10pm
Students can also access recordings of the on line lectures at their own convenience.
Please note: Examinations are held during the day.
On successful completion of the Higher Certificate in Business (NFQ level 6), students are eligible to progress on to the Bachelor of Business (NFQ level 7).
Graduates of higher certificate and ordinary degree programmes can avail of exemptions from most of the major accountancy bodies.